about me itinerary home archives home

Shopping

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I've had the chance to soak up loads of culture over the past week and a half. Like on Friday when I visited the British Museum, the holder of tens of thousands of worldly artifacts {including the Rosetta Stone!} or today when I visited the Museum of London, which traces the city's history back to prehistoric days. But to tell you the truth, I don't want to talk about London's abundant cultural opportunities. What I really want to talk about is its abundant shopping opportunities.

I've decided that London's biggest danger isn't the pick-pocketers, or the insane drivers, or the manic pigeons. It's the stores, and all of the wonderful things held inside, that can you get you into trouble! But surprisingly, I've been a very good girl so far. Before embarking on this journey, I gave myself a daily budget and I'm pleased to report that a day hasn't gone by when I've used it all. Well, until this past Saturday that is. Bright and early that morning, I met some of my classmates for a traditional English breakfast {which was, er...interesting to say the least} and then we headed to Notting Hill to visit Portobello Road. And oh my word, it's like that place was made for me. Each Saturday, there's a massive market that goes on for two miles. It's mostly antiques, but there are also fruits and vegetables, second-hand books, etc. Plus, there are tons of actual stores selling clothing, jewelry, and an assortment of other fun things. It was EXTREMELY crowded, but that didn't deter me. In the end, I bought a dress, a necklace and a bag {to carry all of my souvenirs home with me!}

Later that afternoon, I made my way back to the Covent Garden market since my first trip was unsuccessful {see previous post about my getting lost}. I stopped by Lush, a seller of handmade and organic bath and body products, and I think I bought more creams and lotions than I can use in a year. But the salespeople demonstrated the products on me and they made my skin so soft - how could I possibly resist?

And after today's class, I visited the Mecca of all shopping destinations - Harrods. This high-end department store is situated on five acres of land, has seven floors and over 1 million square feet of selling space! Their motto is Omnia Omnibus Ubique—All Things for All People, Everywhere and boy do they live up to it. I saw everything from chocolate truffles to seafood to puppies to pool tables for sale. All I bought were a few small gifts, but it was certainly fun to look at all of the mega-designer dresses {I'm talking seriously red-carpet worthy gowns} and do a little dreaming.

Here are a few pictures from Portobello Rd. I also spotted a library in Notting Hill and have decided that I'm going to get a job there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment